I did not use compose as unraid does not support it. Also compose is
used for multi-container setup i.e. if you need to run your app + mysql
+ something and you want everything in it's own docker and compose will
build all the dockers for you.

Not sure what you wan't achieve with it as lms does not need any extra
app to run?

For security you probably mean from the outside network? I have reverse
proxy set which translates https to http and also security set on lms
itself. I don't see any additional security risks to running lms in or
without docker.

With this configuration you also expose config, log files from lms on
the host so you have persistence and you don't need to worry about
loosing your settings after restarts.