No one likes doing documentation.

As piCorePlayer is not a commercial product there is really no incentive
to do the hard slog and keep the documentation current. I think
technical people, given the choice would rather code than document. I
certainly would.

Documentation is important, I know that. I spent 10 years as an Online
Technical Writer for a very large Australian organisation, 100,000's of
pages. I was mainly support for the Technical writers and instrumental
in the publication process.

So the initial idea was to add "More" links on the pCP GUI. The hope was
if we added enough info we wouldn't need any documentation. Well that
didn't quite work out, what about release notes, installation how-to's
and other less than obvious information. Some of this was already on
SourceForge but not integrated into one help system.

The next idea was the current Online Help. Well that was a step forward
but we have to work within some constraints and the result was a system
that was a bit cumbersome. The main gripes are it uses pure HTML and the
staging server is in the cloud. These issues made doing even minor
changes a bit of a chore and proved really awkward when converting user
supplied word documents to HTML help. I found HTML easy when you are
doing it all the time but after a couple of months break efficiency
drops dramatically.

Documentation gets out of date. As piCorePlayer developed the existing
documentation gradually became not applicable or just wrong. The major
change came when LMS was introduced as an option. This made statements
made about piCorePlayer when it was just a "player" not quite right
anymore. Depending when you joined the piCorePlayer train, this was a
natural progression or just plain confusing.

I would like to thank those that have contributed to our existing help.
Thanks!

I would also like to say sorry to those that have offered help over the
last few years and probably feel ignored. Each time someone offered help
it would push me to look for a better documentation process that would
accommodate user input simply. I would do a couple of days research then
"try" and find their post again to respond.

The future. We are investigating other options with these required
features:

1. Documents use markdown.
2. User input via basic text files.
3. Source managed by git.
4. Local staging server.
5. Automated pushing to production from GitLab.
6. Potentially, in future, for user input direct via GitLab.
7. Everything has to be fast.
8. No day to day management of system or users.