A few notes to self on getting the x86_64 working:

Coaxing Alpine to set the correct screen resolution took me a bit longer
than I'd like to admit.  The default grub command line has "nomodeset"
which I don't think actually does anything for this specific device
(Wyse 3030) with the i915 based video I think you also have to add
"i915.modeset=0" to really disable KMS, so the resolution kept getting
set to 1920x1080 which resulted in tiny text on the 800x480 Uctronics 5"
display.  I added the video= argument to the grub command line:

  jl-01:~# cat /etc/default/grub
  GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
  GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=y
  GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true
  GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="modules=sd-mod,usb-storage,ext4 nomodeset quiet
rootfstype=ext4 video=800x480M@60mD"

--------------------

To start Jivelite on boot, I ended up with what feels like an ugly
solution, but it is working.  I commented out the existing tty1 line in
/etc/inittab and added the /bin/login one per an entry I found in the
Alpine wiki:

  #tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
  tty1::respawn:/bin/login -f root

--------------------

So this auto logs in root, then I have a .profile file in /root that
runs a jivelite.sh script:

  jl-01:~# cat /root/.profile
  /root/jivelite.sh &

--------------------

The jivelite.sh script figures out which device the touchscreen is,
since it's not the same every boot, sets some env variables, clears and
blanks the framebuffer and starts jivelite:

  jl-01:~# cat jivelite.sh
  #!/bin/sh
  for dev in /dev/input/event*
  do
  tsdev=$(ts_finddev ${dev} 1 2> /dev/null)
  if printf "${tsdev}" | grep -q caught
  then
  break
  fi
  done

  fbset -g 800 480 800 480 32
  export TSLIB_FBDEVICE=/dev/fb0
  export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=${dev}
  export TSLIB_CALIBFILE=/etc/pointercal
  export TSLIB_CONFFILE=/etc/ts.conf
  export TSLIB_PLUGINDIR=/usr/lib/ts
  export SDL_MOUSEDRV=TSLIB
  export SDL_MOUSEDEV=$TSLIB_TSDEVICE
  export JIVE_NOCURSOR=1
  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fb0
  /usr/bin/jivelite &

This in addition to the calibration and ts.conf edits documented above.
As I said, feels ugly, but it's booting up to Jivelite without user
intervention.  There must be a better way to determine the touchscreen
device file, but that's what I came up with for now.