rgro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll start here.
> I'm totally new to the Pi/Linux world with no code or programming
> experience.  Nonetheless, thanks in great part to the excellent
> piCorePlayer "how to", I've just managed to get an RPI4 up and running
> with LMS as my new music server---replacing a microjukebox/vortexbox
> from Small Green Computer.  I also have two RPI4 Pi's operating solely
> as Squeezelite players which are now happily connected to the LMS server
> and all is running just fine.
>
> So, on the Pi/LMS server, I have a 1tb SSD connected to one of the USB
> ports.  That SSD was formatted, per the instructions, as EXT4 and I then
> transferred all of my music files from the spinning hard drive in the
> microjukebox to the SSD over my home network (bit of a lengthy
> process!).
>
> Now, I would like to be able to easily make backups.  I have a couple of
> 1tb Western Digital external MyPassport USB hard drives laying around
> and figured to use one of those to backup the SSD.  So, I have a couple
> questions for the experts here:
>
> 1.  To start, what is the fastest/best way to backup the entire SSD
> contents to the MyPassport?  Do I need to reformat the MyPassport to
> EXT4, first?
>
> 2.  After that's done, I would like to be able to easily back up just
> the changed or newly added music files from the SSD to the HD.  I'm
> planning to leave the Pi/LMS server on 24/7 and my preference is not to
> leave the HD powered on 24/7, too.  I'd like to be able to just plug the
> HD into the second USB port of the Pi (without having to turn the Pi off
> and on again) and have it run some sort of automated process to back up
> the new/changed files from the SSD, but don't know if that's possible
> and, if so, how to make that happen.
>
> Alternative #1: it'd also be workable to plug the MyPassport HD into my
> Windows computer and, somehow (no idea how) have my Windows computer
> find the SSD on the Pi and then back up new/changed files over the
> network to the MyPassport HD that is plugged into my Windows computer.
>
> Alternative #2: people much cleverer than I, no doubt, have already
> figured out an even better way to do all this.  If so, please give this
> very low-tech newbie, a step-by-step how to.  I'm pretty good at
> following directions and I do know how to open a Putty session.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Alrernative #1 - Install SAMBA on the pCP (LMS page > Setup Samba Share)
and use a backup programme such as freefilesync to backup one drive to
the other over your network.

*Server - LMS 8.2.0 *Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP v7.0.0 - 74K library,
playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
*Study -* Pi3B/pCP 7.0.0b6/pi screen/Allo Boss DAC Ruark MR1 Mk2
*Lounge* - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
*Garage* - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
*Dining Room* - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

*Spares* - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi