P Nelson wrote:
> Two weeks ago I installed PiCore 6.1 & LMS 8.0 on a 3B+ and it was
> working fine.  I followed the instructions on the documentation, and the
> only issue I had was I could not transfer the LMS data and cache files
> to the USB hard drive. (Perhaps because drive was Fat32, but that is a
> different issue.)  I noticed when not streaming any music to my 3 SB
> Radios and Touch, the hard drive would go so sleep.
>
> Yesterday, I upgraded to PiCore 7.0 (32 Bit) and LMS 8.1. As
> recommended, I did a complete fresh install of flashing piCore 7 onto
> the SD card.   In summary, the following has changed from my prior
> set-up:
> >   >   >
  - PiCore 6.1 to piCore 7.0 32 bit
  - LMS 8.0 to LMS 8.1
  - LMS data files and cache on SD moved to the USB drive
  - A Toshiba FAT32 drive to a new Seagate NTFS drive, both 1 TB

> Could the movement of the LMS cache to the hard drive prevent the
> drive from going to sleep?  The PiCore LMS page has an option to move
> just the data files to the hard drive, as opposed to both the cache
> and data files.  A test would be to move the cache back to the SD
> card, but I am not sure how to do that.  I see there is a Remove Cache
> (Remove LMS Cache and Preferences from pCP) button.  Would that work,
> or would I have to remove LMS and reinstall?
>
> Or is there some other solution that the smart people on this forum
> already figured out?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Paul
I can't answer your specific questions but can confirm that with my
recent setup of a pi4 with the LMS files moved to a WD 2TB drive, the
drive will spin down after about 15 minutes of no activity.