I solved my prior problem with the mounted hard drive constantly
spinning.  The problem was with the Seagate drive.  I shut down LMS, and
then later shut down Samba, and the Seagate drive would not stop
spinning.  I replaced the Seagate drive with my Toshiba drive and it
stops spinning when I am not streaming music.  That resolved the issue I
was having.  In copying the flies from the Seagate to the Toshiba, I
could not safely remove the Seagate drive from my windows 10 machine, so
something might be wrong with that Seagate drive.

I used the buttons in the LMS setup page to dismount the Seagate Drive
so I could replace it with the Toshiba drive, but I was unsuccessful.
The problem seemed to be that because I previously moved the LMS cache
and data files to the Seagate drive, it would not let me move those
files to the new mounted Toshiba drive.   My solution was to start from
scratch by re-flashing the SD card with PiCore.

If I backup the files in /slimserver/prefs/, and if I need to do a fresh
LMS install, and then replace the files with the ones on the back up,
will that avoid having to redo all the settings for my devices in LMS?

Redrum wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> I don't have a direct answer to your question either, one of the devs
> would have to tell you what LMS is doing when not streaming. But, I also
> have a pi3b+ with a USB HDD, LMS data moved to HDD, and had allot of
> issues recovering from frequent power failures. The pCP just lost the
> HDD mount on recovery, so I had to go in and remount. There are those
> that don't want to keep the data on the SD for fear of corruption, but
> others that say that is how they have run for years. I finally followed
> some advice from @Paul- to create a third partition on the SD for the
> LMS data, the thought being that if corruption occurs during LMS access,
> the pCP should still boot to fix. I also keep a copy of my LMS data
> (excluding cache) on my windows PC via samba. For me this makse sense
> and I don't feel there is a need for this to be on a mechanical drive.
> Jim
Hi Jim,
After a power outages, I also want the system will restart it-self and
function properly.  Last week, there was a power outage, but no music
was being streamed at the time.  When the power returned, pCP was
running, but I could not get it to play any music.  A reboot solved the
problem.

I do not fully understand the SD card partitions.  I assume the first
partition is for the pCP files and this is what the Pi uses during
start-up.  I saw somewhere that after bootup, the first partition is
unmounted to prevent corruption.  The second partition is where LMS and
Samba files are located.  Is this correct?  Would a third partition be
for the LMS cache and preferences, or if you had small music collection
the music files?

Putting the LMS cache, preferences, and data on the third partition on
the SD card seems contradictory to the piCore documentation.  However,
as you mention other seem not to have a problem.  Another solution would
be to plug the pCP into a battery backup.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Paul