P Nelson wrote:

> Could the movement of the LMS cache to the hard drive prevent the drive
> from going to sleep?  The PiCore LMS page has an option to move just the
> data files to the hard drive, as opposed to both the cache and data
> files.  A test would be to move the cache back to the SD card, but I am
> not sure how to do that.  I see there is a Remove Cache (Remove LMS
> Cache and Preferences from pCP) button.  Would that work, or would I
> have to remove LMS and reinstall?
>
> Or is there some other solution that the smart people on this forum
> already figured out?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,
I don't have a direct answer to your question either, one of the devs
would have to tell you what LMS is doing when not streaming. But, I also
have a pi3b+ with a USB HDD, LMS data moved to HDD, and had allot of
issues recovering from frequent power failures. The pCP just lost the
HDD mount on recovery, so I had to go in and remount. There are those
that don't want to keep the data on the SD for fear of corruption, but
others that say that is how they have run for years. I finally followed
some advice from @Paul- to create a third partition on the SD for the
LMS data, the thought being that if corruption occurs during LMS access,
the pCP should still boot to fix. I also keep a copy of my LMS data
(excluding cache) on my windows PC via samba. For me this makse sense
and I don't feel there is a need for this to be on a mechanical drive.

I have never really paid much attention to what my drive is doing
(server is tucked away) but I assume that the only time it is being
accessed is when I am streaming from my library. Since I listen to alot
of internet radio and podcasts, I assume my HDD is not spinning (but
could be wrong)

I have not upgraded to 7 yet, still on 6.1, but regarding moving LMS
data, in 6, there are radio buttons for your mounted drives, just tick
the one you want to move to, and select Move LMS Data. The "more" on
this selection indicates that it is cache, prefs, database. Unless of
course this has changed for 7 :)

psketch wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> I wondered if the spin down is actually causing problems?  I have mine
> deliberately set to spin down - to save power.  I find it just spins up
> when I access it.  The only thing I needed to change was to set the wait
> time in PCP to 10 seconds or so, so that pcp will mount the drive OK
> when I boot it - there's an option under Extras to do that.
>
> pete S

Interesting Pete, I never knew this. I went to Extras and did not see
that option. perhaps it's new to 7?

Jim