d6jg wrote:
> If you both run W10 then look at Quick Assist.
> It will alow you to remote to his PC with no issue.
>
> To save faffing I would find out before you ship the Pi whether he can
> access his router DHCP log or not.
> If he can't then find out the router IP and set a fixed IP on the Pi
> before you ship it.
>
> To find out router IP
> Run / CMD
> At prompt "ipconfig" hit Enter

yea, thanks, when I was there last I logged into his router and set a
browser bookmark for him, and created a readme for his router un and pw.
he has a problem with passwords :). Someone is always changing them,
didn't you know? :) I am "tech support" for a number of my friends up
there, internet, streaming, audio, tv, wifi cameras, you name it, so I
try to setup their stuff so I can do phone support.

So, I understand that I can walk him through finding the pi's IP, but
then I would have to change the address in all of the bookmarks I will
be sending him. That is why I thought a fixed IP would be a help. Not
100% sure of how I go about it in terms of identifying a fixed ip to
use, is it as simple as just chosing one? Is there a downside to a fixed
IP?

Thanks for suggesting quick assist....

Jim