Thanks for the replies. My library is 108GB and currently is on my
netbook and backed up on a couple of other windows PCs.  I don't have a
NAS and in reality play almost all my music via the spotty pluggin to
LMS and fill in the gaps from my library when Spotify catalogue is found
wanting. I have no desire for a Pi Player just to run LMS.

I do have some old HDDs around that would accommodate the library and
was thinking of repurposing those in a usb caddy. At least one is 2.5"
so that £10 case you suggested looks great but it sounds like if i just
plug that into one of the PI's usb ports that's probably going to be
problematic.

Apologies if I posted this in the wrong place - first timer on this
board :)