Hope to find some help here.

I have a freshly assembled "piTouch" using PI3B with official touch
screen.

Connecting it to TEAC UD-501 from PI on board USB via good quality USB
cable.
Audio output device settings set to USB audio, Output setting to
"front:CARD=UD501,DEV=0", ALSA setting to " 80  4 nothing 1 nothing".
Other setting unchanged from default. Wired network.

TEAC is receiving and playing the data, but i get clicks, pops, dropouts
even with 44.1/16 material :(

Tried 64bit Picoreplayer, now on 32bit, tried different output settings,
different USB cables, went from 64bit to 32bit, problem still persists.

My old Squeezebox Touch with EDO plugin connected to same Squeezeserver
via same switch can play material up to 192/24 via SPDIF and toslink
without any issues at all, so it's unlikely a network issue I believe.

Any suggestions regarding the USB output setting for TEAC or how to
approach this to find the root cause?