philippe_44 wrote:
> Yes, we could have 3 files, for 32, 44.1 and 48 but ... see below
>
> I would tend to agree with you, and I think it's a legacy thing at the
> time mp3 was the only game in town for SB. But I'm speculating here and
> probably Michael has a better opinion.

I'm pretty sure it is legacy (and not just MP3 but also just 44.1kHz) as
native Flac only appeared with SB2 and native AAC with Touch/Radio.

Now it seems the uneven way of handling formats could result in more
"false" reports.

If the added "silence" is still necessary for current DACs - I feel
users would have been demanding it as they would have needed it to play
Flac and AAC.