Hi David;

I agree with Ronnie, make sure you are on ethernet, at least to setup.

I think you had mentioned the 7" screen before, but for some reason I
was unsure if it was part of this kit.

It very well could be something else, but lets talk about the power
possibility. I know nothing about the screen, but a quick search
indicates it might drawn 500ma. I am not sure where it draws it from (on
the pi architecture) but if it's the USB power, that reduces your total
1.2 to 0.7, then take 80% of that = 560ma left for all of the USB
ports.

I use a Western Digital WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN on a 3b+, with no problems
(no screen though). I could not find definite power consumption specs on
it, but it is "USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatible" so it (the drive) needs to
limit the current draw to below the USB specs, 500ma (for 2.0) and 900ma
(for 3.0). Not sure if it recognizes what port it's on and adjusts
performance and power accordingly? But that is for my drive, not yours.
The pi 3b+ has USB 2.0 ports, so you would assume 500ma max.

You could try unplugging the screen and scanning. Just use another UI,
your PC, phone, tablet, etc.

But I think the good move is to take the USB HDD out of the equation.
Funny you don't have any USB drives around, I have quite a few useless
ones laying around (as small as 64MB!) but even those will handle a song
or three. You can also use a uSD, SD with one of those USB adaptor
things.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how you make out.

Jim