paul- wrote:
> Well that is an issue.   When you have a GPT partition,  we need to use
> fdisk from util-linux.
>
> From your post,  it seems we are missing a dependency to readline.  I’ll
> have to take a look at that.
>
> If you use a MBR when you format, and remove util-linux,  it should
> work.

Based on your advice, I deleted util-linux and rebooted. Then in the
disk mount section, I saw the message that said something like "A device
with GPT partition is found. You need to install util-linux to use it."
So I re-installed util-linux.

And NOW for the first time my USB disk was available to select and
mount! It is still partitioned as GPT / FAT32 (just as before) and
util-linux is installed (just as before)...but something apparently
clicked this time.

Appreciate the help along this winding path.