brainchild wrote:
> I am running Linux Mint 21 on an x86 laptop.
>
> What I have come to understand is that Jivelite is targeted for a player
> device such as a RPi running piCorePlayer, and that Squeeze Player is a
> desktop application that functions as a player for a media server, not a
> controller for an external player....

You are mostly correct, SqueezePlayer is, in fact, an Android app that
allows you to use a mobile phone as a Squeezebox player. SqueezePlay,
which I recommended (but without proper capitalization) is, as you said,
a desktop player application. I THINK (but am not certain, so I hope
more knowledgeable users will either correct or confirm what I say here)
that SqueezePlay thoroughly emulates the interface of some Squeezebox
players, including the ability to switch it to control a different
Squeezebox player on the same network.

In other words, if I am right about this, it is a player, but you do not
have to use it as a player. You may use it as a standalone controller.
You will have the overhead of having some extra components installed,
which you will not be using. But it should function exactly as you want.

Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual
players (Squeezelite and Airplay bridge). Occasionally using SB Radio,
Boom or Classic.