The NullPointerException is the same one I noted.  If you change the line 412 in org.jasig.portal.rendering.StaticRenderingPipeline.renderState from
log.error("UserInstance::renderState() : ...+e.getCause().toString());
log.error("UserInstance::renderState() : ...+e.toString());

I have created a jira for that: http://www.ja-sig.org/issues/browse/UP-2359.

I also am seeing the other errors in your trace backs.
Susan

SOO KIM wrote:
I am getting the same error... just could not explain well like Susan. (Thanks Susan).
So.. I am willing to cooperate on this.

Another strange behavior is... after session expired.... any access to http://myportal/uPortal is getting the following error
-------

uPortal Error

Sorry, but uPortal encountered an error that is preventing it from rendering. The error must be corrected by system administrators. Try again later.

------

portal.log shows...

 INFO [TP-Processor3] provider.SimpleSecurityContext.[] Mar/13 08:38:36 - Principal or OpaqueCredentials not initialized prior to authenticate
 INFO [TP-Processor3] jndi.JndiManagerImpl.[] Mar/13 08:38:36 - JNDI Context configured for sessionId='A609B84BECBC069116DE1BBA62B734FA', userId='8', and layoutId='1'
ERROR [TP-Processor3] portal.ExceptionHelper.[] Mar/13 08:38:36 - Programming error
org.jasig.portal.PortalException: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.jasig.portal.rendering.StaticRenderingPipeline.renderState(StaticRenderingPipeline.java:682)
    at org.jasig.portal.PortalSessionManager.doGetInternal(PortalSessionManager.java:248)
    at org.jasig.portal.PortalSessionManager.doGet(PortalSessionManager.java:177)
    at org.jasig.portal.rendering.StaticRenderingPipeline.renderState(StaticRenderingPipeline.java:412)
    ... 23 more

 INFO [PortalEvent-5] handlers.LoggingEventHandler.[] Mar/13 08:38:36 - Session created for GUEST_USER (guest) at Fri Mar 13 08:38:36 EDT 2009
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[ent-lo]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
java.lang.Exception: Unable to find User Profile for user -1 and profile 1
    at org.jasig.portal.layout.simple.RDBMUserLayoutStore.getUserProfileById(RDBMUserLayoutStore.java:1708)
    at org.jasig.portal.layout.dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.cleanFragments(RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.java:351)
    at org.jasig.portal.layout.dlm.FragmentCleanerRunner.run(FragmentCleanerRunner.java:33)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor104.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.springframework.util.MethodInvoker.invoke(MethodInvoker.java:276)
    at org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.MethodInvokingJobDetailFactoryBean$MethodInvokingJob.executeInternal(MethodInvokingJobDetailFactoryBean.java:260)
    at org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.QuartzJobBean.execute(QuartzJobBean.java:86)
    at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:202)
    at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:525)
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[welcome-lo]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
[...]
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[news-lo]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
[...]
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[staff]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
[...]
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[guest-lo]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
[...]
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[faculty]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
[...]
ERROR [uPortalTaskScheduler_Worker-3] dlm.RDBMDistributedLayoutStore.[] Mar/13 08:40:34 - Failed to retrieve UserProfile for person org.jasig.portal.security.provider.PersonImpl fullName=[null] id=[-1] securityContext=[null] attributes=[{username=[student]}] isGuest:false while cleaning fragment cache, person will be skipped
[...]

SOO IL KIM