Hi Steve,

I'll second what Joe said, we've been running on SQL Server for several years.
We use a third-party jdbc driver called Merlia from a company called iNet
because originally it was the only one that met our needs for failover, but the
Microsoft v3 jdbc driver does it all now; jtds seems to be what a lot of people
use.  I very much get the impression that there's not much to choose from
betwen MSSQL jdbc drivers.

The only issue we've encountered with SQL Server is that use of portlet
preferences causes (lots of) deadlocks under load; there are a couple of
recommended settings in the Jasig wiki about this, but they didn't solve the
problem for us and we couldn't find a solution.  Fortunately we only had a
couple of portlets that rely on portlet preferences, so we just wrote our own
preferences persistence code and use that instead.  If you experience this, it
could be a problem if you use lots of off-the-shelf portlets.

Also, I tried to deploy uPortal using Amazon Webservices, and found that their
RDS (Relational Database Service), which is based on MySQL, required
case-sensitivity and didn't give the user the option to change it, which
unfortunately meant I was unable to use that service.  Of course, I could just
run normal virtual machines and install any database I felt like, but it was a
shame to miss out on some of the cloud integration that comes with RDS.

Ta,

Conan Cook
Senior Applications Developer
Academic Technologies Group (ATG)