+1

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jen Bourey" <jennifer.bou...@gmail.com>
To: uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:50:43 PM
Subject: Re: [uportal-dev] [VOTE] Move  uPortal source to GitHub

+1

On Aug 31, 2011, at 12:26 PM, Eric Dalquist wrote:

I'd like to see uPortal's source code moved to git and hosted on GitHub. There
have been quite a few folks that have been working on uPortal 4, uMobile or are
otherwise interested that have asked about using git. After looking into it a
bit more I think it would be a very valuable change for uPortal.

For those not familiar Git is a distributed source control tool. What that
means is there is no true central repository like there is with SVN. Developers
don't really checkout some version of the code, they clone the entire project
when doing work. That doesn't prevent the convention of a central repository
which is what a site like GitHub provides. A place to host a clone of the
project that by convention we agree is the master copy of the project.

GitHub adds some very nice social-coding aspects to git. Primarily it provides
a VERY easy interface that allows anyone to clone a project, make changes and
commit them to their clone, then make a pull request on the master project.
Once that has happened a simple click of a button is all it takes for any
developer with commit access on the master to accept the changes and merge them
in. This process makes it very easy for people without direct commit access to
commit changes that are reviewed by a core developer before merging in and
significantly simplifies the work of the core developers.

When there was first talk among about switching I solicited feedback from the
Fluid project which recently moved from SVN to Git. I highly recommend reading
the resulting thread which highlights a lot of the pros and cons
http://old.nabble.com/Perspectives-on-Git-td31852449.html

There is an eclipse Git Plugin, a TortiseGit client which is a clone of
TortiseSVN and I believe most other IDEs have either built in or plugin support
for git.

Some other useful links:
Git for those without Version Control background -
http://hoth.entp.com/output/git_for_designers.html
GitHub's wonderful help documentation - http://help.github.com/
TortiseGit - http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

Some questions that I can try and answer before they come up:
- The uPortal code in svn at source.jasig.org would likely be left in place, we
would just make the entire /uPortal directory read-only
- We're going to filter out the documentation and website files that were
included in early versions of uPortal 2 to reduce the project repository size.

Since this is a big change (and since I'm going on vacation for 2 weeks
starting Friday) I'm planning on leaving this vote open for a while. +1, 0, -1
to vote and if you vote -1 you need to include a detailed reasoning for your -1
vote.

-Eric

--
You are currently subscribed to uportal-dev@lists.ja-sig.org as: