On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, as Bruce mentioned, local institutions may be using Subversion and
> switching
> this over could be a major barrier for community participation.

Assuming that 3.2.x remained on SVN and 4.0+ was on GIT, I'd end up
figuring out all of the differences as part of the project effort to
migrate from 3.2.x to 4.0+. Going to 4.0 is already a project I'm
already expecting will take extra time, so I wouldn't be concerned.

If all versions of uPortal move to GIT, I might have to figure the GIT
stuff out as part of my existing release schedules. I didn't forecast
that time, but sometimes that's life in the big city. I can't see
JASIG waiting for a hundred schools to say "okay", though I do
appreciate having windows of opportunity as I have more
responsibilities other than the portal and it is a bummer when
deadlines coincide.

Wrapping GIT in my build process should be possible even though my
school will stick with SVN. I'd have to remove the svn:externals part
and probably replace it with some kind of script that called on some
GIT tagging feature. I don't have enough disk space to make my own
local uPortal SVN repository with git-svn to prop up the svn:externals
feature.

--
Bruce Tong
Software Engineer