The "Step-by-step (the short version)" section here https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/wiki/Git-Workflow has good info, for something as simple as this you can skip a bunch of the steps (setting upstream remote and creating dev branch) and boil it down to:

1. Fork on GitHub (click Fork button)
2. Clone to computer ($ git clone g...@github.com:you/diaspora.git )
3. Don't forget to cd into your repo: ($ cd diaspora/ )
4. Make changes//
5. Commit changes to issue branch. ($ git add . ; git commit -m 'commit
   message')
6. Push branch to GitHub ($ git push)
7. Issue pull request (Click Pull Request button)

Post migration I'm going to be encouraging people to follow the full set of steps and do all development on branches. That should let everyone get the work they are doing out into a visible location earlier in the development cycle and keep trunk (master) more stable.

-Eric