Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 04:18:13 -0800
From: Jim Ault <jimaultw...@yahoo.com>
To: How to use LiveCode <use-livecode@lists.runrev.com>
Subject: Re: Nine digit zip codes Oops
delsp=yes

The 'submit' button on a page will do one of two things.  Either
  send a GET string
  send a POST message
------ I meant to add this ----------

The USPS page uses 'post', as shown on the line below
<FORM name="form1" action="zcl_0_results.jsp" method="post"
OnSubmit="return validate(form1)">
where action-> the script (handler),
and the method tells the script to look inside the $_POST array for
data that has been passed.
BUT , your browser runs a javascript before sending, and validates the
form
 (search for 'function validate(field) { // check if input ok )
----------

The GET is a simple method of send a web page address & the data pairs.
- this method has a limit of about 1000 chars and is sent so that a
program sniffing packets can see the entire string

The POST is a more capable method that sends the web page address &
another message block that can contain a variety of encoded data.
- this method does not have a limit and the variables cannot be
sniffed if sent using SSL. or encryption, etc.

In your case, the LC 'post' command is the 'submit' button action.
In the LC library, the web page address and the message are formatted
for you

Think of the receiving web page as a hander in LC.
The post message calls the handler and passes the variables defined by
     pVar1=string&pVar2=integer&pVar3=state&pVar4=city

Now the server program gets called, crunches, and returns what it is
programmed to return, just like a LC handler or function.

The POST command can also send images (as binary endoded as a text
block), sounds, videos, files, etc.
The key is to format the message so that the sever program can know
how to decode the text and where the parts begin and end, if multiple
parts are sent in one message.  This is the function of 'multi-part
boundaries' (long random strings that divide the parts)