Hi,

I'm not a real big fan of the "muscular morons," but it might improve your opinion of Sylvester Stallone if you were aware that he not only starred in the "Rocky" series, but he wrote and directed too!

My family just did an experiment for an exercise in film criticism (acting like critics) and while there was plenty to nitpick about, we found the character of Rocky was actually quite complex. I'm not saying the storyline was not easy to anticipate, but if you enter "Rocky's World" and put yourself in the character's life/mind, the challenges he faced were significant and the "character" of Rocky changed throughout the series.

I think one of the fallout of watching so many movies in a never-ending stream is people never have time to reflect on what they just watched with any depth of thought or feeling. Knee-jerk critics, siskel, ebert, etc. are the most vulnerable to this syndrome. In order to produce a review they have to shoot from the hip, but they never get a chance to just let it simmer. I have personally found a number of movies that seemed inane on first glance, but in forcing myself to view them with a different attitude, I have uncovered some gems, but your mileage could vary. :)

~Calvin

        Richmond <mailto:richmondmathew...@gmail.com>
Saturday, February 05, 2011 12:36 PM