On Feb 15, 2011, at 8:41 AM, John Dixon wrote:

Could some please point me in the right direction...

would like to use the browser object in a stack to display a google
map… that I can do. I would like to be able to choose a postcode or the
name of a town or village from a list in a field in the stack to place
the two markers, showing the start and finish location, get the
direction drawn on the google map and the total distance put into
another field in the stack...

If someone could point me in the
the right direction (no pun intended !) of how to go about doing this
from within LiveCode… it would be appreciated as I don't know really where to start..

Here is a function I have used to fetch the total distance between two addresses from Google maps. The function returns the distance without displaying any map, but you could play with the script to also display the map.

--------

function getMileage
   put "http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/directions/xml?"; & \
          "origin=<tOrig>&destination=<tDest>&sensor=false" into tURL
   put fld "from" into tStart
   put fld "to" into tEnd
   replace "<tOrig>" with urlEncode(tStart) in tURL
   replace "<tDest>" with urlEncode(tEnd) in tURL
   put URL tURL into t
   put lineoffsets("<distance>",t) into startSect
   put item -1 of startSect into startSect
   put lineoffsets("</distance>",t) into endSect
   put item -1 of endSect into endSect
   if startSect = 0 or endSect = 0 then
      beep
      exit to top
   end if
   put line startSect+1 to endSect-1 of t into tSect
   put lineoffset("<text>",tSect) into dLine
   if dLine = 0 then
      beep
      exit to top
   end if
   put sr(line startSect + dLine of t) into tMiles
   --   <text>3.6 mi</text>
   replace "<text>" with empty in tMiles
   delete word -1 of tMiles
   return tMiles