On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Devin Asay wrote:

On Feb 15, 2011, at 8:56 AM, Peter Brigham MD wrote:

On Feb 15, 2011, at 8:41 AM, John Dixon wrote:

Could some please point me in the right direction...

would like to use the browser object in a stack to display a google
map… that I can do. I would like to be able to choose a postcode or
the
name of a town or village from a list in a field in the stack to place
the two markers, showing the start and finish location, get the
direction drawn on the google map and the total distance put into
another field in the stack...

If someone could point me in the
the right direction (no pun intended !) of how to go about doing this
from within LiveCode… it would be appreciated as I don't know really
where to start..

Here is a function I have used to fetch the total distance between two
addresses from Google maps. The function returns the distance without
displaying any map, but you could play with the script to also display
the map.

--------

function getMileage
  put "http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/directions/xml?"; & \
         "origin=<tOrig>&destination=<tDest>&sensor=false" into tURL
  put fld "from" into tStart
  put fld "to" into tEnd
  replace "<tOrig>" with urlEncode(tStart) in tURL
  replace "<tDest>" with urlEncode(tEnd) in tURL
  put URL tURL into t
  put lineoffsets("<distance>",t) into startSect
  put item -1 of startSect into startSect
  put lineoffsets("</distance>",t) into endSect
  put item -1 of endSect into endSect
  if startSect = 0 or endSect = 0 then
     beep
     exit to top
  end if
  put line startSect+1 to endSect-1 of t into tSect
  put lineoffset("<text>",tSect) into dLine
  if dLine = 0 then
     beep
     exit to top
  end if
  put sr(line startSect + dLine of t) into tMiles
  --   <text>3.6 mi</text>
  replace "<text>" with empty in tMiles
  delete word -1 of tMiles
  return tMiles
end getMileage

Peter,

Thanks for sharing this code. Can you tell us what format the origin and distance argument values need to be in? City, State, Country? Postal Code?

Devin

Look at the Google API. I just paid attention to the case of inputting addresses -- other values might be do-able. I didn't check out the alternative, but the API seems pretty informative.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmb...@gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig