Folks,
I’ve been following this discussion, barely. I don’t use merge, but when I need
to form a command from several variables, I create the command as a text string
and use do to execute it.

So, when I look it up in the dictionary, I see a fairly simplistic description
with nothing resembling the code being discussed in this thread.

So I’m thinking: “What’s with the square brackets?”

I haven’t looked at the link that Kee posted, (I’m having breakfast at the
beach)  but would like to make a request for the dictionary entry to be
expanded.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero