I spoke too soon. When I tested, I hard-coded a value as the filter string. But when I use a variable, it fails as it did before. The elements of the array all start with a 4-character string followed by an underscore, for example: ER01_some text here

My variable contains "ER01":

  put tVar & "_*" into tFilter
  filter elements of sArray with tFilter into tNewArray

No go. I've tried a few different iterations. However, this works:

  filter elements of sArray with "ER01_*" into tNewArray

Even with no matches though, Tom was right. Looping through the keys takes 0.03 milliseconds. Filtering takes 0.22 ms.