One part you say seems incorrect. I’ve been running Catalina full time since
the first developer build, and I’ve seen various combinations of problems.

For the one you’re talking about, where right-click Open still doesn’t open the
app, in the security control panel where it used to say open applications from
anywhere, it now should show a message asking for permission to open the
specific application that you just attempted to open.