I think that that has little to do with how people acquire other languages, but quite a lot
to do with concepts of inclusiveness and tribalism.

I doubt whether those Slovakians are consciously setting out to be rude, but:

1. They probably feel that it is easier to convey certain concepts to their compatriots in their mother tongue.

2. I felt, on my visit to the USA last Summer, that  people seemed less friendly than when I was there for 3 years in the early 90s. Put this down to a cultural shift if you will, put it down to the effect of everyone's favourite half-Hebridean if you will, put it down to some sort of rise in racism; I honestly don't know.

Of course if one wants to be tribal and rude (which are often confused) a person like myself educated in England could get "all b*tchy" about your "perfectly good english." :)

Which does rather prove the point, that all of what you have mentioned about Slovakian volleyball players comes down to perceptions and manners: not how languages are learnt.