I usually use the preOpenCard approach with background images but have
occasionally wanted to have a set of images on individual cards that do not
change dynamically over time. In that case I’ve used an image that was NOT part
of the background group. To create a new card (with a new image), I use “clone
card” rather than new card. The image is created on the new card but is an
individual image. I assign it a new file name and it doesn’t affect anything
else.

The best approach really depends on you use case.
Not sure which is more efficient. Storing images separately and loading on
preOpenCard or having them preloaded on individual cards.... would guess the
former if the stack starts with only a few images.

Sent from my iPhone
Please excuse brevity, typos and errors