Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> TL/DR:
>>
>> We don't need a generic player.
>>
>> What we need is an updated Standalone Builder, to provide
>> more complete tooling and better guidance for building a
>> modern standalone.
>

> An easy way to extend the standalone building process with plugins is
> a necessity IMO as well.

Add-ons to the product experience can be a useful temporary workaround for long-time users, but if we step back and look at the gestalt of the user experience they're not a true solution:

The problem is tooling and knowledge necessary but not found in the product.

Whether the third-parties delivering essential tools are OS vendors or community members, both require knowing where to hunt down the solution, set it up, and use it.

Either way it's not in the box, so many won't know where to find it, and most newcomers won't know it even exists.

Third-party plugins are ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC for adding *supplemental capabilities and conveniences* to a product.

But they cannot be profitably relied on to provide a core requirement of a product's critical path of use.

When the product is a tool for building applications, nothing could be more integral to its mission than building standalones.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems