On 3/7/22 12:30 PM, Alex Tweedly via use-livecode wrote:

The boardwalk will find all valid words on the board. So that list of words can be used as the "dictionary" for the user's guesses - and now you have a "dictionary" of only a few hundred words, rather than than the many thousands of either the original or the filtered dictionaries.

And it's worth saying that the fast boardwalk only explores those potential words that are on the board, so there's no need to filter the dictionary for it.

The caveat - a user guess which isn't in the word list found by the boardwalk can be either "not a word" or "a word, but not present on the board", and you don't know which. If your UI needs to distinguish between those cases, you'd need to do another step of checking these (hopefully very few) failure cases against the full dictionary.

Wow, that's something else that didn't occur to me. I do, of course, have the word list from your board walk. At present I use it to provide a hint on demand if the user gets stuck. It's cheating, but hey, this is a one-person game and you're only cheating yourself. Nobody says you have to click that button.

I do need to discriminate between non-words and words not on the board, but the dictionary check is now so fast that it isn't a problem. The most time-consuming part is now the boardwalk, but it will be instant when I check the word list your script creates.

Have you heard the joke about how a camel is a horse created by a committee? That's not always true. This game is getting better and better.