stephen barncard wrote:
 Again, Robert I have to disagree with you about this. You seem to feel
shortchanged somehow with the way stacks work on the server, yet it's really
doing all it can do in that environment.

What else would you want a stack to do on a server? The GUI has to be
created in HTML - it's a web browser you're looking at from the user's point
of view. If you want Livecode to work like an app online with its GUI, it's
been done --- the Livecode Revlet.

 I must repeat that card creation is NOT broken,  I have been able to create
and access custom properties of cards as well as stacks, which gives yet
another dimension to the storage matrix.

Field creation or the creation of any other object than stacks, cards and
props is pointless and not applicable...

Sometimes. But there may be times when stack files, and the objects within them, can provide convenient data storage. Custom properties are a natural fit for server work, but since fields make a convenient way to translate some aspects of text-to-HTML and HTML-to-text they can be useful too.

I don't use RevServer at the moment, but the following works in the v3.5 CGI engine, so conceivably it could be made to work with RevServer:

#!../../bin/rev -ui

on startup
  create stack "datastack"
  set the filename of stack "datastack" to "testdata/data.rev"
  set the defaultstack to "datastack"
  create cd
  create field
  save stack "datastack"
  -- Provide some output so we know it completed successfully:
  put "Content-Type: text/html" & crlf &\
           "Content-Length:"&& length("Hello") & crlf & crlf
  put "Done"
  quit
end startup

When I download the created stack, it has both the new card and the card's new field.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World