On 08/11/2011 11:49 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
On 8/11/11 12:16 PM, Warren Samples wrote:
The issue of payment and distibution is far more varied
and complex than most of you seem to be aware of or willing to
consider. As consumers your interests only reflect a very limited
perspective.

When faced with a decision like this, I substitute "my software" for "music" and see how I'd feel about it.

My software comes in two versions: the FREE version and the ever-progressing 30 day "Demo" (which is fully functional). I am well aware that IFF my 'Pro' ever becomes successful people will start pirating it [in fact I found my FREE version on a pirate site, when doing a Google to see how 'viral' it was; the ultimate accolade], therefore I run a school to fill my fridge. I also make some money running around sorting out people's computers.

I don't steal software (and as I can really not afford anything I use Open Source alternatives) and I don't download music I don't already own. However, I have downloaded mp3 files of my favourite gramophone records; as far as I can see, the only difference between that and hooking my gramophone up to the computer and converting the music is a matter of blood, sweat and tears.

So far I have made the princely sum of 8 Euros from my software . . .  :)