David.

I could not understand your issue, so I made the controls you mentioned. The
thing that matters is not the lockLoc property, but rather the “opaque”
property.

A group of controls is just a, er, group of controls. The “group” itself can,
however, take on a life of its own if, as in this exercise, something like the
opaque property is set. In that case, dragging a control with a lower layer
number will disappear behind the group rect, regardless of whether or not there
is a child control in front.

Am I getting your problem at all?

Craig