Aha.

I did not see that you meant a single button in its own group. But it would not
matter if I did the same with a control within a larger group of controls. And
it does not matter if the lockLoc of the group is set or not.

So is your question “Why does the control disappear when it is dragged outside
the group rect?” In other words, "why does it not just keep going in full view?”

I am not sure, but maybe being outside its group means it is nowhere at all?

Craig