the original question was about mosquitto and handling messaging, thus the
remarks about websockets.
bob:
the server just opens the port and listens. there is no timeout on the
server. the client sends the request, and then times out if it does not
receive a reply.
whether it receives a reply or times out, the request is closed, and the
client stops listening. the server does not retain the ability to continue
to communicate with the client, once it has replied. websockets keep that
channel open.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 1:40 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> Hi Richard.
>
> This email thread now has me curious. If I have an app that starts
> listening on a port, does that server port have a timeout associated with
> it that needs refreshing, or does the timeout only exist when a client
> connects? I have always assumed the latter.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Jun 12, 2024, at 10:26 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mike Kerner wrote:

> >> That's part of the point of a websocket. you don't have to keep
> >> reopening it, and both ends can use it, as needed.
> >
> > Exactly, websockets are useful in browser apps because browsers don't
> offer direct socket support.
> >
> > LiveCode makes OS-native apps and supports sockets.
> >
> > The socketTimeoutInterval lets us set how long they live.
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin
> > FourthWorld.com