Bernard Devlin wrote (see his whole message at the end of this email):

> You're either extremely knowledgeable about the GPL, or I think you
> have misunderstood the GPL.

The first is certainly not true, so the second is more than likely. I got my
(hopefully wrong!) information from the site of Artifex, who maintain and sell
the commercial version of Ghostscript and its derivatives. They say:

> If your application (including its source code) is not licensed to the public
> under the GNU GPL, you are not authorized to ship GPL Ghostscript or GPL
> MuPDF with your application under the terms of the GNU GPL if any one of the
> following is true:
>
> your application contains a copy of some or all of GPL Ghostscript or MuPDF;
> your application is derived from, is based on, or constitutes a revision of
> some or all of GPL Ghostscript or MuPDF;
> your application includes one or more functions that use some or all of GPL
> Ghostscript or MuPDF.
> These criteria apply to your application as a whole. Even if only one section
> of your application satisfies one of these criteria, you are not authorized
> to ship GPL Ghostscript or GPL MuPDF with your application unless your
> application, including all of its source code, is licensed to the public
> under the GNU GPL.
>
> If your application (including its source code) is NOT licensed to the public
> under the GNU GPL and you intend to distribute Ghostscript or MuPDF to a
> third party for use with and usable by your application, you MUST first
> obtain a commercial license from Artifex.

I perhaps naively believed all this without further research. I have now read
the GPL - it is quite tough to follow, but I tried to test it on what I
actually want to do, which is to distribute Ghostscript or an existing
derivative of it unaltered along with my own application (written in LiveCode,
a proprietary software system) and for sale as a product under 'normal'
commercial terms.

In the Preamble, the GPL states:

>   For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
> gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same
> freedoms that you received.  You must make sure that they, too, receive
> or can get the source code.  And you must show them these terms so they
> know their rights.
The applicable part of the GPL referring to compiled and complete versions of
programs (such as GhostScript in binary form, which is what I intend to use) is
Section 6. It does allow use of the compiled code, provided that the user is
offered access to the source code (this is 6b). So Bernard, I think you are
right and that Artifex is wrong - which means the use of 'free' software (using
the term as GNU uses it) is OK.

Thanks Bernard for that very interesting insight.

Graham

PS I will return to the technical argument (which seems to be getting rather
tetchy) about the use of IM, GhostScript etc. soon. I thought it better to keep
the licensing discussion separate.