Hmmm   - a bit of a long shot, but worth trying.

I recently discovered that even when 'explicit variables' is turned on, you don't always need to declare a variable !! I thought this was a bug, and reported it, but the official reply was that this is intended behaviour. Seems wrong to me, but apparently that's the way it is.

If a variable is used as a repeat loop control variable (e.g. repeat for each key K in ...., etc.) then it is *implicitly* declared for you, and won't cause an error even if explicit variables is on. And then, if you subsequently do declare a variable with that name, then you get the "shadows another variable" error.

For example, (the entire script)
on abc
   repeat with t1 = 1 to 10
      -- do nothing
   end repeat
   local t1
   put "asd" into t1
end abc
t1 is implicitly declared in line 2, and then line 5 produces an error. Turning off explicit variables fixes the error.

I'm not quite sure if that could cause your problem, but it's another thing to check for.

-- Alex.