On 10/28/2011 11:52 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
While trying to get just a bit comfortable with a command-line interface, I
started Terminal on Mac OSX Lion and eventually got a command to work (after
finding out how to cope with spaces in file and folder names). I put the same
thing in an LC 'shell' command and got a runtime error (Handler: can't find
handler). I guess this is because in the Terminal context, the shell recognised
the program I was calling ('convert' - it's dear old ImageMagick) but within my
prog and the LS IDE it didn't. What do I need to do to get 'my' shell to be
able to invoke the same apps that the raw terminal interface can? My guess is
that it's something to do with a context variable like LS's defaultFolder, but
I just don't know how to get there. Can anyone explain?

TIA

Graham

Graham, post the exact code you're trying to make work using Livecode's shell() function so it can be debugged. The shell function should have access to any command the terminal has access to.

Best,

Warren