On 10/28/2011 07:33 AM, Graham Samuel wrote:
[As an aside I would NOT recommend IM on a Mac to anyone who has only worked
within a GUI environment. The installation of IM for Mac took longer (and
appeared to use more resources) than installing Lion on my Mac, even if you
take into account my making a complete clone of my hard disk before the Lion
installation started. My machine is now stuffed with Xcode, MacPorts, countless
components of IM, and IM itself. If there is an uninstall process I have not
discovered it and probably never will. So, IMHO, avoid. In contrast, there is a
simple .exe file available for the PC. No geography teacher would ever be
willing to do the Mac install, although doubtless many of them are very able,
so there will never be a Mac version of my app.]

Graham,

I see you found the Windows binary installers. Good! About Macports; Macports will allow you to export fully functioning binaries which you can supply to your users for simple install.

http://guide.macports.org/#introduction ("Allows you to create pre-compiled binary installers of ported applications to quickly install software on remote computers without compiling from source code.")

and

http://guide.macports.org/#using.binaries.binary-packages

This means you could offer precompiled binaries with simple installation, in a known location, for every version of OS X you are able to set up Macports in and that your app is available for.

To ensure compliance with the GPL, you may need to make this a separate download from your app and provide a way for your users to access the source. (An easy to find link in your documentation should be adequate.)

You can uninstall Macports by following directions found here:

http://guide.macports.org/#installing.macports.uninstalling

Best,

Warren