On 03/13/2013 08:20 PM, Curt Ford wrote:
For several months I've had the pleasure of working with Paul Meier, a leading
dialect coach and Professor of Theatre at the University of Kansas, to bring his
materials from print & CD onto desktop computers; we've been using LiveCode,
naturally.

We've just released The Scottish Dialect, the 7th in a series of 24 books on
various dialects and accents, and it's available on his website at
www.paulmeier.com. There are also previews of the ePub versions are in the
Apple iBookstore.

If you're headed to Edinburgh in May, this may be the time to brush up on your
accent & see if you can pass for a local..

Also: a big thanks to Jacque for her help with the registration scheme!

I hae allus jaloused at Lallans as a dialeck o Sudron, an it isnae aa mensefu ettlin but gowks fae sooth o
the innis an a byous bit of politickan:

http://www.lallans.co.uk/

Oh, wait a minute, you seem to think that 'the Scottish Dialect' is English spoken with some sort of strained accent; that is 'English as she is spoken in Scotland' and NOT Scots; and to "pass for a local" you must just speak English with a funny accent, but you would not, anymore than you would pass for an Indian if you spoke English with a "Baboo" accent - like Peter Sellars with boot-polish on his fizzog.

What you, and Paul Meier are doing is confusing Scottish English with Lalland/Scots:

"The Scots Leid Associe wis foondit in 1972 an aye ettles tae pit forrit a feckfu case for the Scots language in formal, informal and ilka day uiss. Scots wis aince the state language o Scotland an is aye a grace til oor national leiterature. It lies at the hert o Scotland's heirskep as ane o wir three indigenous leids alang wi Gaelic an Scottish Inglis."

I am aware (having spent 3 years there) that the dominant spoken language in the United States of America is a dialect of English; this is clear as American English and English English are about 95% mutually comprehensible ( a bit like what RunRev says about cross-platform parity); but neither an Englishman nor a north American (unless, just possibly, he is Canadian) can understand Scots.

Of course the English colonists have been banging on for about 3 centuries that Scots is some sort of 'degenerate dialect' of Scots; not helped by people introducing apostrophes into Scots words where they would like to imply Scots have been careless and dropped the consonants of their better cousins in England. This is just part of what, in the USA, has been called 'Manifest Destiny'; however the line between Scotland and England is stronger and deeper than the Mason-Dixon line being not just political but religious and cultural in a way that the English (and most of the people in the USA) are quite unable to understand. Unfortunately our attempt at succession was no more successful than that of the CSA; and we have been living with the consequences for nigh on 270 years.

I am sorry to 'glitter oon a fair puckle' anent this topic, but far too many people are only aware of what the English want them to see.

Richmond.