On 13/04/2013, at 9:53 AM, "Cal Horner" <calhor...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems something is askew.

Think about it like this. You've written a big commercial software program and are selling it successfully. It brings in money. You've protected your intellectual property by password protecting the stacks, so that no one can read your code by looking at it in a text editor.

Let's say LiveCode's OSS is fully open with no restrictions. That means your code is exposed because it can't be protected. Your neighbor buys one copy of your app, learns the password algorithms from the OSS version of LiveCode, uses that to unlock your password, sees all your code, copies your work, and begins selling it as a competing product.

Not so good.

To prevent that, the OSS version contains no password algorithms. The public can't see how it works, and commercial software remains protected. But because there are no password algorithms in it, the OSS version can't open protected stacks. The code to do that just isn't in there.

That's why your plugins won't open in community LiveCode. But many vendors have chosen to release both open and closed versions of their plugins. You need to ask them if they're planning to do that.