On 04/13/2013 03:48 AM, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Cal Horner <calhor...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
"I can use anything that is developed in LC OSS within my commercial LC
environment. But if there is a password protection on something I have been
using for awhile, and wish to continue to use, that plug-in can't be used in
a LC OSS development environment."

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems something is askew.
Among other things,  the combined program would be a derivative work
of both the OSS work and the plug-in.

The GPL component requires that the combined work be treated, which
isn't something that can be done with the commercial part, so no
mixing.

The GPL pretty much can't be combined with anything. "GPL compatible"
means "can be re-licensed under the GPL"; this "compatibility" is a
one-way trip.

There is a lot of room in the OSS world for a license between the free
BSD/MIT type licenses, and the viral GPL; something that requires
disclosure of source code, but that allows mixed license in the
ultimate program.

Indeed that is true.

But one could argue that by blocking the use of password protected stacks and plugins LC OSS (or RunRev) is restricting end-users' freedom to create and issue software that
employs a mixed license.

At the moment I can see all sorts of 'things' that are restricting end-users' freedom in a
way which is not really in the spirit of OSS.

About 6-7 years ago I wrote to the Ubuntu people (Canonical) offering them copies of my EFL standalones to put on their Edubuntu distro. I was told that they liked my programs but the could not (actually whether it was a case of couldn't or wouldn't was a bit unclear) include them because, although I was giving them away (i.e. Free gifties), they had been made using proprietary software.

This strikes me as a very narrow view of things; or, as my English Granny was wont to say,

"Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth"

and as her father (my Great-Grandfather Tom Elkington) was the champion horse-whisperer (before all the fancy publicity) of Norfolk in the 1920s it was a real case of what my Grandfather (Scots)
said; "She do know."