Thanks everyone, the problem is solved. It was indeed an authorization problem and once I fixed that, PUT started working. We are using a token to identify the app, and a bad copy/paste caused it to be missing a digit. All that trouble over a single integer.

Right now I'm putting the data into a variable and putting that into the http URL. I get a response back in the urlResponse, just as it should be. I'm grateful for the info about urlResponse, I haven't had to use it before and didn't know it existed.

I haven't tried just appending the value pairs to the end of the URL because now that it works, I don't want to mess with it.