On 07/20/2013 04:55 PM, Richmond wrote:
"Richmond's experience" has been greatly exaggerated by Thee!

Thee or thou? Your post makes it sound like a universal Linux problem, using the term "inevitably". I don't know what to say about the instructions being wrong "(but that is normal for Linux)". I didn't read them. I just downloaded the installer and clicked away and "magically" everything worked, despite it being Linux.

One of the things that I find a little disappointing is the propensity for people to say on this list that there's a "linux" problem when they should say "I have a problem on my system". One of the reasons I tend to look into and respond to posts to this list about problems Linux users have is to help clarify when the issue is indeed a "linux" issue and when the issue might be local. Clarifying this can only help get at the root of a problem and hence a solution.

Further, I'm not interested in wasting time in the silly pursuit of convincing people to run Linux as their main OS, but we should be careful about not encouraging the exaggerated fear that Linux is just too much trouble to think about at all. This is a cross-platform developing environment and I think LiveCoders should be encouraged to keep it in mind as a viable platform for app deployment, and an "inevitably" hostile beast after all, to install for testing during development.

Warren