On 17/02/2014 20:16, Ray wrote:
That works great! And a little experimenting shows that waiting 0 milliseconds accomplishes the same goal without significantly slowing down an already slow handler. Not to sound greedy but you wouldn't also have any idea how to speed up this loop would you?

Sure, but I haven't been able to test (and I'm not sure I exactly understand what it's doing), this is simply typed straight into email - so at your own risk ....

replace

 repeat for each char curBin in totAlphaData
      if char 2 to 4 of totColorData = binColor then
         put bin0 after newAlphaData
      else put curBin after newAlphaData
      delete char 1 to 4 of totColorData
      set the cursor to busy
   end repeat

with
 put 2 into tStart
 repeat for each char curBin in totAlphaData
      if char tStart to (tStart+2) of totColorData = binColor then
         put bin0 after newAlphaData
      else put curBin after newAlphaData
 -- -- --     delete char 1 to 4 of totColorData
      add 4 to tStart
      set the cursor to busy
   end repeat

This avoids the deleting of chars which is (very) expensive because it moves all the rest of the data. Although you often see the advice to avoid "counting" chunks, in this case it's OK because indexing by char is fast; it's really counting lines, items or words that is so expensive.

If I get time later tonight, I'll test this version (and also try out something else that might be even faster).

-- Alex.
Thanks,

Ray