It doesn't require an experienced security expert.  Memory dumps are very
easy, and the tools are cheap.

MG is MobGUI, and John is, of course, John.

See thread from other list - we had static compilation of HC stacks and
projects back in the 80's and early 90's with Heizer Software's CompileIt!
and Double-XX! (the exclamation points were part of the name).  CompileIt!
was originally a tool for using HT to write XCMD's and XFCN's, but soon
after, Double-XX came out as a way to build fully-compiled standalones from
HC stacks.  It worked great.  I wrote the first HC-based
Anti-virus/anti-trojan this way.  It stopped the idiotic Dukakis trojan,
and several others with only a handful of lines of code.  Then I built
several database applications for my employer at the time, all
fully-compiled, double-clickable applications.  It was all just HC stacks
with a few restrictions placed on them by Heizer Software, the creators of
CompileIt! and Double-XX!

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassa...@fourthworld.com
> wrote:

> Mike Kerner wrote:
>
> > Decompiling does not result in original source code.  As it is, the
> > kiddies can just copy/paste.  The dump that Kaspersky included, even
> > had a line that was commented out.
>
> So it seems they can only "copy and paste" if an experienced security
> expert has first provided a RAM dump.
>
> While always an issue with every dynamically-compiled language, how easy
> is it to fully dump RAM?  Has anyone here successfully done it?
>
> Still, I agree it merits consideration.
>
> Given the nature of the language static compilation may not be possible.
>  What other means may be useful?
>

> > Think about it - if you have the Pro version, yeah, your source is
> > encrypted, until it's decrypted when the app is loaded.  Then it's
> > just sitting there for someone to take.  I avoided doing this with
> > MG when John went AWOL, but there is nothing that would have stopped
> > someone with no scruples from doing it themselves.
>
> I think I may have missed some posts:  what is "MG" and who is "John"?
>

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com