Dr. Hawkins wrote:

Now, to make matters worse, it appears that I've been using 7.0.0,
not 7.0.1-RC-1 for an unknown period of time--it has managed to
set itself as the default version more than once on this machine.

If that's on a Mac, I don't believe there's anything a developer can do - that's a long-standing Finder "feature", in which it uses rules known only to itself to determine which version to launch whenever a compatible file is double-clicked.

For greater control over app versions I put all the ones I use in my Dock and launch them explicitly from there.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 LiveCode Community Manager