Thanks for all the suggestions. Need some time to try them out. I really like
Thierrys RegEx approach and the others look promissing too.

@Walt: In the real live Scenario I try to colorize Structured Data (e.G. XML,
but others too). I need to walk through the whole dataset token by token and
really have the token number I am interested in. I need to find the start and
end position inside of the dataset (e.G. token 79 starts at char 400 and ends
at 402).
The datasets can potentially be huge. A field would add quite a bit of overhead
here, which I am not necessariely keen on. :-)
Also the dataset *might* be that huge and to make it worse actually be on a
single line, that a field would cut off some of the data, while a variable
would not.

Ultimate goal is to have a tiny text editor, that can colorize the data and
point out where in the data it is potentionally malformed and ideally what the
error is.

All the best,

Malte