Not quite so straightforward, but  you can do

function getCharIndexByLineToken pVar, pLine, pToken
  local temp
  put the number of chars in line 1 to (pLine-1) of pVar into temp
  add 1 to temp   -- for the CR between lines 14 and 15 !!
add the number of chars in token 1 to (pToken-1) of line 15 of pVar to temp
  return temp
end getCharIndexByLineToken

Unfortunately you need different functions for token, word, etc. unless you want to make it more complex and (probably) need to use "do" or "value"

Hmmm - and maybe you need to watch that "add 1" in the case of pLine being 1 !!
or beyond the end ?!?

-- Alex.