On 22.07.2015 at 17:55 Uhr -0700 Jerry Jensen apparently wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, Robert.

Yep - two different wired Apple keyboards (with and without numeric keypad) plugged directly into the MacBookPro or into a Thunderblt monitor. Also checked the System Preferences Keyboard pane - no joy. This also happened with some former MacBookPros. When I have a chance, I'll configure a virgin minimal system to try.
.Jerry

Is that an American keyboard? On some national keyboard layouts, one has to press the shift key to produce the underscore itself.

RObert